Monday 12 March 2012

DIARY OF A ONCE FRUSTRATED, UNEMPLOYED GRADUATE



DAY 161 AFTER NYSC: I WAS ALMOST LOSING IT
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
I need a job, did I just write that in small letters…I NEED A JOB!!!
Yah, I guess you get my point now…
Waking up each morning to having nothing really to do is ‘killing’
Sending my CV to countless places….
Checking my mail every second to see ‘may be some company has replied me’
Visiting www.Jobberman.com , www.hotnigerianjobs.com to apply for the latest jobs
Reading guardian newspaper on Tuesday to check all vacancies that fits me
Going for test and interviews…..
Apply to places that I would normally not apply to
After 4 years of hardwork in the university
After Bsc (Hons in mass communication, NIPR, APCON, CIPMN (in view)…..
Grrrrhhh!!!!! am slowly losing it….
I am now faced with the odd reality that
the only certificate I possessed as a requirement to earn a
living is almost insignificant in the face of a challenging labour market…
I am tired of blaming the government for not providing opportunities
Am tired of going for interviews for dry-cleaning services and insurance company and just anywhere that calls me…
am tired of begging all my family members for money...(including my almost 3 yrs old nephew, haba!, did u believe that, tins are not that bad o...)
I said I wanted a job, I really don’t want a job cos I would have gotten one…..(drycleaning job,
in Funke Akindele’ voice.  ‘can u imagine, a whole me, Bsc hons)
I want a career, something I get paid for and I love doing…..
This realisation has led me to search for answers, to know my true self
To ask ‘WHO AM I’
WHAT DO I WANT TO DO IF I COULD DO ANYTHING….(imagine who I can become)
And then my mind wonders to the many things that could limit me
 and just as my esteem was falling back
I heard the voice of David S. Jordan,
The world stands aside to let any man pass who knows where he is going’
I know where am going, I know what I want………………….and so Nigerian and its many issues… STEP ASIDE!!!

2 comments:

  1. .... unemployment a menace you will never know of until after NYSC or people close to you are victims of it .... Nice one, kudos.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the upside to being unemployed as you have rightly stated is being able to discover who you are, what you have being designed for and what is waiting ahead of you. This describes perfectly what I have been going through, except attending for non-benficial interviews...lol and of course begging my toddler nephews for money..lol!

    ReplyDelete